A circa 1907 photograph of what is described as Sand Lake (today known as Sandstone Lake). If correct, Sand Lake was created as a stop on the Port Arthur, Duluth and Western Railway in 1893 (Milepost 57). It was home to a siding, water tank (visible on the extreme right of the photo) and a section house. The PAD&W was laid with 56 pound rails and those in the photo do appear quite light.
At the time of the photo, the line was part of the Canadian Northern Railway network and known as the Duluth Section or Duluth Extension. The locomotive in the photo, #30, was a 4-4-0 (Class A-10-a) built in 1871 by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works for the Quebec & Lake St. John Railway. She was scrapped in 1912.
Thunder Bay Public Library