Canadian Northern Railway Long Lake Subdivision
The Canadian Northern Railway Long Lake Subdivision began in Fitzbach (later Hornepayne), Ontario and terminated 150.5 miles to the west in Hector (later Jellicoe), Ontario. Unfortunately, this subdivision only existed for 8 years.
In 1923, it became the Canadian National Railways Longlac Subdivision. A year later, it was totally re-organized following the completion of the Nakina Cut-off. This 30 mile line, which connected Longuelac (later Longlac), Ontario and Nakina, Ontario, linked the former Canadian Northern line with the former National Transcontinental Railway (NTR) line. Most of the Longlac Subdivision was renamed the Caramat Subdivision, and it still originated in Hornepayne, but now terminated in Nakina. The former Canadian Northern line to Longlac, thence to Nakina, and then the former NTR line from Nakina to Winnipeg became the new Canadian National Railways mainline across this portion of Canada. The other sections of the CNoR and NTR were relegated to secondary status.
The remaining 49.7 miles of the Longlac Subdivision from Longlac to Jellicoe was named the Kinghorn Subdivision. In 1960, the Kinghorn and more westerly Dorion Subdivision were merged, and became the Kinghorn Subdivision, running from Longlac to Port Arthur. The stations and some of the notable locations on the line are listed below (mileage shown is per the original line):
|Milepost||Station, Siding or Point||Elevation (ft.)|
|102.4||Suckle Creek Bridge||1069|
|111.7||Kenogamisis River Bridge||1087|
|128.8||Milepost 28 Water Tank||1127|
|145.2||Namewaminikan River Bridge||1080|
|145.4||Kinghorn Ballast Pit||1085|
*Name changed **Planned but never constructed ***Added after 1996
For more information on the construction and later discontinuation of this line, please see the page on the Nipigon Subdivision.
Timetables and Stations
There are numerous videos of the remains of the CNoR-Long Lake Subdivision in the YouTube playlist below.