Pearl Station Pass Lake Station Blende River Viaduct
Pass Lake Station, originally known as “The Pass,” was located at Milepost 120.6/170.3.
Its first name reflected the fact that the railway was forced to build a long detour to bypass a large rock ridge, effectively doubling the length of the line in the area. This was a direct result of the failure of Canadian Northern Railway to negotiate a running-rights agreement with Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) between Port Arthur and Nipigon. Unfortunately, CPR had already secured the best route through the area when they built their line in the 1880s, which forced Canadian Northern to build alongside Lake Superior and through less than favourable terrain.
The circuitous route took the line by what would become Pass Lake, which would lend its name to the nearby community that was created near the station. The stop included a water tank, section house (which still stands today as a restaurant) and a siding, which was converted prior to 1991 into a 2630-foot spur known as KI-86. The spur was converted back into a siding by 1996 and the station was removed prior to 2005. The water tank was removed between 1956 and 1958.