Grand Trunk Pacific Railway
The parent company of the GTP was the Grand Trunk Railway (GT), which was one of the earliest railway companies in Canada. It was incorporated in 1852.
Grand Trunk operated mainly in Ontario and Quebec, as well as some northeast and Midwest US states. Around the turn of the century, the company decided to expand into the western Canadian provinces to increase its profitability. It formed a partnership with the Canadian Government, whereby the government would build the eastern section of a transcontinental railway, from Winnipeg to Moncton, NB under the name National Transcontinental Railway (NTR). Grand Trunk would build the western section to Prince Rupert, BC as the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR/GTP).
The one exception to this arrangement was the branch from NTR at Superior Junction (now Sioux Lookout, ON) to Fort William, ON. Construction on this 200-mile line, which would give Grand Trunk access to Lake Superior, began in 1905. It was completed in 1908 and became known as the GTPR-Lake Superior Branch. During World War I, issues arose over the operation of the NTR and in 1915, it and several others (including the Lake Superior Branch-even though it was technically a GTP line) were consolidated into newly formed Canadian Government Railways (CGR). Numerous improvements to the Lake Superior Branch were undertaken during these years, including the construction of concrete culverts and bridges, as well as the filling in of wood trestles with gravel, taken primarily from the Dona Pit (near Dona Station on the west bank of the Kaministiquia/Dog River).
In 1918, the CGR took over the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) and became the Canadian National Railways (CNR), an arrangement which was finalized in 1923. As part of the merger, 26 miles of the Lake Superior Branch west from Fort William was abandoned, which was a result of a duplication of lines with CNoR. The remaining mileage became the CNR-Graham Subdivision which split from the westward line, the Kashabowie Subdivision, at Conmee Junction. To facilitate this arrangement, a new bridge was constructed across the Matawin River, which became Milepost 0 of the line. The Graham Subdivision was abandoned in 1994.
The stations and some of the notable locations on the line are listed below (mileage shown is per the original line):
|Milepost||Station, Siding or Point||Elevation (ft.)|
|0||West Fort William||613|
|1.6||CPR Main Line Crossing||636|
|6.4||Neebing River Culvert*||680|
|26.7||Strawberry Creek Bridge*||1025|
|27.5||Dog River Bridge*||1039|
|Matawin River Bridge***||1097|
|36.8||Sunshine Creek Culvert||1266|
|189.7||Superior, junction with NTR Main Line||1209|
*Abandoned 1924 **Relocated ***Added 1924 ****Renamed
For more information and photos, please read the following great article:
The Grand Trunk Pacific’s Lake Superior Branch by John Todd (Canadian Rail Magazine, September 1976)
There are numerous videos of the remains of the GTP in the YouTube playlist below.