Current Station Port Arthur Station Fort William Station
The Port Arthur Station was located at Milepost 0 of the PAD&W. When the PAD&W became part of Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR), the station was Milepost 147.9 of the Nipigon Subdivision and Milepost 0 of the Port Arthur Subdivision. Following a realignment, it became Milepost 197.6 of the Kinghorn Subdivision and Milepost 0 of the Kashabowie Subdivision.
The original station was built by the PAD&W in 1892. It was a two storey painted frame structure with attached freight shed that measured 16 feet by 50 feet (4.9m x 15.2m). In 1905, CNoR announced the construction of new a station approximately 1850 feet (560m) to the northeast.
Opened in March 1906, the new station was an impressive structure designed by Ralph Benjamin Pratt. Measuring 50 feet by 200 feet (15.2m x 61m), its white stone and red brick walls rose three storeys on its peaked ends. The main floor, adorned with oak woodwork, doors and trim, burlap wainscoting and maple floors, contained the waiting rooms, ticket office and baggage rooms. The less ornate second floor held offices, while on the third floor were more offices and living quarters for the station agent. At some point prior to the 1940s an addition was constructed on the southern end of the station.
The station still stands on the waterfront of the City of Thunder Bay, known as Prince Arthur’s Landing. It saw its last passenger train in May 1977 and was sold to the city in 1978. A designated heritage property by the Province of Ontario, the building is host to a number of businesses and adds a unique historical and architectural flare to the area.
Canadian Northern built many other structures on the waterfront of the then City of Port Arthur. This included numerous shipping docks, a massive grain elevator and coal facilities. Additionally, the company constructed a large hotel 500 feet (152m) north of the station for those visiting the city either by train or by ship. Opened in 1911, the Prince Arthur Hotel (which honours the original name of Port Arthur, Prince’s Arthur’s Landing) has been in continuous operation ever since and has played host to many notable guests in that time.