Then and now photos featuring the McKirdy Pit/McKirdy Station north of Nipigon, Ontario. The first photo, taken circa 1996 by Mike Ročnik, shows a westbound passing the station, spur and ballast pit at McKirdy. McKirdy was one of the original stations when Canadian Northern Railway opened the line in 1915 and was located at Milepost 50.1. Nothing more than a siding and a whistle stop, its mileage changed to 99.9 after CN merged lines in 1960 and became part of the Kinghorn Subdivision. In 1965, the station and its siding were removed from the line.
McKirdy was resurrected in mid 1980s but not at its original location, but a few miles further west at the site of a large ballast pit at Milepost 102. A several thousand foot through spur serviced the pit, which apparently had been in use since the 1960s or before, though the spur only appeared in timetables in the early 1970s. Today the pit remains, though it is much quieter after service on the Kinghorn was terminated in 2005 and the rails removed in 2010.