Then and now photos featuring the Blende River Viaduct, more commonly known as the Pass Lake Trestle. Located northwest of the community of Pass Lake, ON, the first train rolled over its spans 110 years ago this week. In May 2005, the last regular train crossed the viaduct and the rails around it were pulled up in late 2008.
Constructed between May and December 1912 by the Canadian Northern Railway, the viaduct is 2258 feet long and 130 feet high. To bridge the wide Blende River Valley, workers poured 3600 cubic yards concrete and placed 5 million pounds of steel at a cost of $350,000. It remains the longest railway trestle in central Canada.