Now and then photos featuring Jellicoe, ON. Originally named Hector, Jellicoe was one of the divisional points on the Canadian Northern Railway mainline when it opened for traffic in 1915. It lost its status as divisional point in 1960 when Canadian National merged the lines around it to become the Kinghorn Subdivision, though it remained a crew change location until the operations were discontinued in 2005.
The first photo, courtesy of Murray Pat Wilson, shows the large station later in its life. There was originally an anticipation of large volumes of traffic, but Jellicoe lost much of its importance when the Nakina Cut-off was opened in 1924 and it was no longer part of the CNR mainline. Today there are few traces of the station, marked by an “X” on the drone photo, other than some pieces of the concrete foundation.
The third photo, again courtesy of Murray Pat Wilson, was taken in 1947 and features the coal tower and water tank looming behind stack logs. These structures were eliminated in the late 1950s with the introduction of diesel locomotives. Unlike the station, remains of both can still be found in the encroaching vegetation.
The final historic photo, from the Bruce Franklin Collection, features the turntable and 6-stall roundhouse in the 1940s. Important facilities for any divisional point, their use likely ended in 1960. The remains of the turntable pit are quite prominent in the area, while those of the roundhouse, which can still be found, are much less visible.