Now and then photos featuring Longlac Junction, Ontario. The first photos, courtesy of Don Loponen, were taken in the 1940s. On the left/north side sits the Canadian National Railways Caramat Subdivision, which forms part of the mainline across Canada. To the right/south side of the station, sits the Kinghorn Subdivision, which formed part of the original Canadian Northern Railway mainline. This portion of the Caramat Subdivision was opened for traffic in 1924 and was known as the “Nakina Cutoff.” This line linked the former Canadian Northern line at Longlac to the National Transcontinental line at Nakina, which shortened the transit between Toronto and Winnipeg by 100 miles.
The third photo, taken in the 1940s or 1950s, shows the station in more detail. The station at Longlac was originally located almost 1 mile to the east but was moved to this spot when the cutoff was constructed.
The last photo was taken by drone in August of 2022 looks west from the junction. The mainline Caramat Subdivision can be seen on the right while what remains of the Kinghorn Subdivision is on the left. None of the buildings remain at the site, while the Kinghorn was discontinued in 2005 and only 1.7 miles of track remains in place.