RSS

McKirdy

McKirdy was a series of stops named likely named after William McKirdy, a prominent official and businessman in the Nipigon/Lake Nipigon area at the time. It was composed of two stations/stops, located at Mileposts 49.7 and 50.1, and a ballast pit located at Milepost 52.3.

East McKirdy was a flag stop, while McKirdy was regarded as a station (likely without any formal structure) and both had small sidings (approximately 1300 feet) until the late 70s. A section house was located a quarter-mile east of East McKirdy. Why there were two stops each with its own siding located less than half a mile apart is unknown.

The McKirdy Pit was in operation for many years, likely from before the 1960s until the line was discontinued in 2005. A 2500-foot through spur serviced the pit, which interestingly does not appear in the 1979 edition topographic map.

There are several videos of the McKirdy area in the YouTube playlist below.

 

Comments are closed.

 
%d bloggers like this: