RSS

Jellicoe

Located at Milepost 0 of the Canadian Northern Nipigon Subdivision (MP 150.5 CNoR-Long Lake Subdivision, MP 0 CNR-Dorion Subdivision, MP 49.7 CN-Kinghorn Subdivison), Jellicoe was named after Admiral of the Fleet, John Jellicoe, 1st Earl Jellicoe. It was originally named Hector, but the name was changed in 1914 by Arthur J. Hills, a superintendent with Canadian Northern. Click here for its location.

As the divisional point between the Nipigon and Long Lake Subdivisions, Jellicoe was home to a station, roundhouse, boarding house, section house, water and coal facilities, a large rail yard and several wyes (it is unknown if these wyes were in operation at the same time, but their remains can be found on both the east and west sides of the yard). The station was similar to the one located at another divisional point on the line, Foleyet.

Jellicoe lost much of its importance following the construction of the Nakina Cut-off, which relegated the line from Longlac to Port Arthur to secondary status. It experienced a resurgence in business from the 1930s to the 1950s when mining and logging were booming in the area, such as the Sturgeon River Gold Rush.

 

Comments are closed.

 
%d bloggers like this: